Monday, November 8, 2010

Today’s Weather, Sunny with Moderate Southern Winds…

 City or country, weather seems to play a role wherever you live. It is merely a matter of what you notice and how you work with it.

When I lived in the city, for instance, I could nearly always tell what kind of work commute I was going to have based on the weather (and sometimes the moon cycles). If it was going to lightly rain or drizzle, everyone on the roads drove as though the pavement were completely dry. If it was going to rain a lot, every other person drove timidly while others drove wildly. If it was going to snow, the ratio of  drivers who knew how to drive in snow was overwhelmingly few compared to those who were terrified of even a half inch of white powder on the road. If the sun was shining and all the planets aligned in perfect harmony, major accidents and tie ups on the highways didn’t seem to occur too often.


Fresh 'n clean!
Today is a boon weather day here. As it is determined to be windy as well as warmish, it is a stellar opportunity to wash and hang laundry on the line to dry. The beauty of hanging laundry on the line to dry is that the pressure is “off”. I have no buzzer to remind me that I haven’t pulled clothes out of the dryer and folded them before they wrinkle. Sometimes the clothes I hang out will dry in an hour, sometimes they take longer. I always start in the morning with my heaviest items—jeans, sweats, towels. Then if I have time, I move on to whites and colors. Sheets I always save for last because they dry very quickly whether the wind is blowing or not—usually a half hour of sunshine and they are dry and smelling wonderful.


Also, we have the opportunity to rework the inside of our barn to accommodate additional bales of hay. We have four times more hay this year than last and we want to keep it all as dry as possible. As we are expecting rain possibly toward the end of the week, now is a great time to get the remaining bales under cover. Wet hay molds and although the cows don’t mind a little moldy hay, the horses can get sick from it.  Although the number of animals on our farm that use the hay during the winter months isn’t a large number, I appreciate the abundance of hay and that we have a place to store it. I figure we will need it or we will need to help a neighbor who needs hay that we can spare. It is all good!

Although I have previously focused on what I can’t do (safely as dry and windy = no burning the trash), because of weather I decided to focus more on what I can do while we have this current weather in play. Besides, it will all be different tomorrow and the day after and the day after that.

Since coming to the farm, I have found that working with is much more satisfying and enjoyable than working against. I count my blessings and know that it will all work out and that there is time for everything, even when I think at times that there isn't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment