Friday, November 26, 2010

It Is All Good…Even When It Seems Not So Good

Living on the farm has given me an appreciation for so many things that I took for granted living in town. I’ve discovered that there are two interconnected aspects to the same coin that is ever flowing Universal energy: the “arrival” and “departure” of life.

Several mornings ago my husband came in and told me I needed to check on a little poglet because it wasn’t moving around. He said Danielle was nosing it while the other little ones were trying to suckle. Well, to not have a poglet harass mom to suckle means there is something definitely wrong. And it was…the little poglet passed on. Another day had passed and two more poglets had passed on. A few years ago, I would have felt deeply saddened.

Today, even as I carry a small still and cold body away from where it was born into this place, I accept this “death” as part of a continual stream of God/energy/Universe. I don’t personally believe in “death” as, for me, all life is eternal; there is no beginning or ending, there just “is”.

We have had to put down a few animals because they were suffering and we couldn’t sit there and feel okay with allowing that level of pain to continue. The first time I had to put a chick out of its misery was rough…but I couldn’t let it suffer with its skin having been torn off its back, leaving the tiny muscles exposed for the larger chickens to pick at and likely cannibalize. It was in pain and barely breathing; as much as I didn’t WANT to do it, I couldn’t let it just die on it’s own like that.  

I have found that it is much better for a little one to pass on early, rather than later. When we get out of Mom Nature’s way, things usually take care of themselves in a gentle way. Sometimes we are called to assist, but that assistance is provided with kindness and compassion. I don’t grieve for the loss; I say a silent prayer of appreciation of the life I’ve had the pleasure to experience and enjoy and let go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment