Friday, October 21, 2011

Free to Good Home...

I tell myself I won't do another animal that is "free to good home"...and then I get another animal that I got for free. Well, yesterday I got two for free.

We welcome to the farm two rams: a Merino and a Karakul. Rams?! Yes, dude sheep that are still hangin'. A rough mix I've been told and they are likely to battle.  I also have absolutely  no objection to snipping or, if need be, butchering either one of them. There are plenty of rams to go around and just about everything on a farm is expendable if they become a PITA.



These boys are currently pastured with a few of our younger cows and while they are together, we haven't seen too much aggressive behavior. While we don't want anyone to get hurt or injured, they seem to be staying away from each other for the majority of the time. Fortunately, the Merino (Jack) hasn't been responding to the Karakul (Rufus) when he plays the "I have bigger parts" card. He's definitely a "dude" and he is doing what dude animals do when they smell the lovely ladies that live next door. 

On the other side of the fence is all our sheep gals and our Shetland ram Stormy. He and Rufus have been "chatting" through the fence. No damage done to anything, including sheep parts, say Amen! everybody.

Our plan is to have our two larger girls (St. Croix) breed with Jack and Rufus next year. Breeding Petunia and Penelope with Stormy was a success, but we want to get larger lambs for the freezer. I'd rather keep the Shetlands to the Sheltands, with the exception of daughters, naturally.

So we'll see how well everyone does over the next few weeks, getting used to each other and the farm. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment